Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday morning on Tauranga Harbour

It's a great time of year to be on the water, after the rain finished today the water was like glass and there was a really cool mist hanging around the hills. I went for what was meant to be a quick paddle - but quickly turned into a 20k epic. I saw a few kingfish, some founder and the usual dose of stingrays (what do you call a group of stingrays, a "school" sounds wrong doesn't it?). The water was still really warm but the bite has gone out of the sun making it much nicer to be out in the middle of the day. Stopped a couple of times to yarn with kayakers (always happens when you're on a paddleboard, I think we amuse them!), spoke to some fisherman, talked to a boy on a paddleboard and his brother in a kayak... the time, the miles and the stress just slipped away. As I pulled up to the beach at the end of Bay Street I had to ask myself the question, how can anyone NOT own a paddleboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment